Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Spirit's work

Lately, I have been thinking about the Holy Spirit's work in salvation. I am planning to blog more on this in a chapter review on observingallthings.blogspot.com (another blog to which I contribute). But for now, I want to rejoice that God was able to use me this past week in the saving of His people.

Our church had a soccer camp where kids could come, learn about soccer and hear the gospel. The week went very well and I think many important contacts were made. Leading up to this past week, I had no specific job for this camp and, truthfully, I was relieved with no pressure of responsibility. But, I soon found myself helping with registration and covering for other coaches who needed a substitute.

A prayer of mine, along with other workers, was that the gospel would be presented clearly and that some would be saved. As I was asking my group on the last night if they had any questions regarding what was taught, a boy raised his hand requesting to be saved. He made a profession of faith in Christ that night.

He was able to explain clearly his need for salvation from his sins through the work of Christ on the cross. Obviously, the Spirit was at work in his life- a work which many times we overlook or ignore. It is the Spirit who unites us with Christ, a unification which can and will never be ammended.

Soli Deo Gloria- May God alone be praised.

3 comments:

Aaron Cline Hanbury said...

Paul, may God receive all the glory for this kid's salvation. I think you're comments about the Spirit are both accurate and reassuring. Accurate because (I think) Scripture clearly attests to the Spirit's enacting salvation and reassuring because we don't need to have the perfect "plan" for evangelism; the words we stumble to communicate can bring life through to effectual work of God's Spirit.

Thanks for the helpful post.

Luke Harding said...

Amen!

Heather said...

Amen! I know we spoke about this earlier this week, but you're right when you say that it is the Spirit's Work. We can't save ourselves or even come to point of salvation on our own- it is only through the power of God.

I'm thankful to have been there that night and to have been a part of that ministry. One of my prayers is that I would intentionally ask God to use me to reach into others' lives- knowing full well that it isn't me who does anything, but Christ in and through me. It's encouraging that you lived out (and, as far as I can tell, continue to live out)that prayer. Remember to intentionally serve the Lord- He ALONE deserves all the glory!

Thanks for sharing, Paul. I'm glad we're friends. :)